Here is a resource filled with free/paid courses that you can take to sharpen your skills. Summer is always a great time to start learning online and picking up courses, since you don’t have to worry about exams, and other classes. Courses include photoshop, language courses, programming and many others.
All are free with quizzes, “lectures” and exams. What’s great about Udacity?
- lectures aren’t long, they range from less than a minute to about 5 depending on the course
- it’s free, and run by University professors
- Know Your Network
- How to Build a Computer from Scratch
- The Basics of Photography
- How to Make a Website
- Basics of Video Editing
- Digital Painting the Complete Guide
- Getting Started with Linux
- Learn the Basics of Photoshop
- Learn to Code
What’s great about Lifehacker?
- “lectures” are video’s with voice over and excellent instructions
- it’s free and video’s are around 20-30 minutes long each
This is a website where you help translate the web while learning languages.
Luis von Ahn discussed this program along with his development of reCaptcha in his TedEx talk
What’s great about Duolingo?
- While learning you help to translate sites like the Spanish Wikipedia site which helps to provide greater resources to those who speak non-English languages
- By providing your services you get to learn how to speak and write a language as well
Can learn a variety of languages including Spanish, Russian, French, Italian, Arabic, Chinese etc.
What’s great about Busuu?
- You learn from native speakers while interacting with them on Busuu
- It’s for free, and there are a wealth of resources online for you
Check out a variety of lectures organized by subject, university, instructor etc.
What’s great about coursera?
- Learn from professors at well known universities including Univeristy of Toronto, Standford, Princeton etc.
- A choice between a variety of courses beyond programming and language learning.
With over 3,000 courses covering all major academic subjects for every grade level. No matter what a student’s academic goal is, there are options available ie. earning a transferable college credit or getting extra help with algebra.
Courses cover a wide variety of topics from 3D+Animation to how to use eBay
Unfortunately full courses aren’t available for free on Lynda, with some video’s available for free
You can get a free trail for 7 days, and memberships start at $25/month or $250/year which in fact is a lot cheaper than University courses.